When Pope Pius XII declared the year 1950
to be a Holy Year, people from all over Ireland marked the
occasion in suitable fashion. Some took part in Holy Year
pilgrimages to Rome, while at home in Ireland, the Holy Year
and Definition of the Dogma of the Assumption was marked by
ceremonies of varying kinds in different parts of the country.
At home in Leitrim, to be more specific,
in Leitrim town, plans were being implemented to mark the
occasion of the Holy Year in a very special and practical
way. A gentleman called Joseph Mary Mooney is credited with
first suggesting the idea. At a representative meeting held
in Leitrim Village in the autumn of 1950, it was unanimously
agreed that a cross, commemorating the Holy Year and the Definition
of the Dogma of the Assumption be erected on the Hill of Sheemore.
As the proposed memorial was to be a permanent and illuminated
one, funds were required to defray the cost of the same. Collections
were taken up all over the Parish and appeals were made to
all Leitrim-born people throughout Ireland, England and the
United States. The names of subscribers were published in
the local press, as well as being recorded in collection books,
like the proposed monument, to be a lasting record to the
faith of the people of the area, at home and abroad.
Plans for the proposed memorial were drawn
up by Danny Mitchell, who was to be the consultant engineer
on the project. The erection of the Cross was put up for public
tender and the contract was secured by Mr Frank McWeeney of
Hartley, Carrick-on-Shannon, the figure being £300,
on the date the tender was accepted, April 23rd 1951
The date for the unveiling and blessing of
the Cross was fixed for September 30th, 1951, and meantime
work on the construction of the monument went ahead. The materials
required in the construction of the Cross presented a problem,
as they had to be transported up the steep slopes of the Hill
on foot and by donkey and sleigh.
The text of the Apostolic Blessing imparted
by Pope Pius XII on the occasion of the unveiling and blessing
of the Cross read as follows:
Vatican City 27.9.1951. Most Rev. Bishop
Occasion : Blessing Cross Sheemore commemorating
Holy Year Definition Assumption Dogma, Holy Father cordially
imparts Apostolic Blessing to Your Lordship, Pastor, Clergy,
faithful, participating ceremony and all who assisted erecting
cross MONTINI. Substitute.
If the name sounds familiar, it should be,
it’s the family name of Pope Paul VI, then Secretary
of State at the Vatican, so to be made Archbishop of Milan,
and later to succeed Pope John XXIII, to the See of Peter.
The official blessing and Unveiling on Sunday
30th September, 1951, was to be performed by Ven. Archdeacon
Donohue, P.P. V.F., Parish Priest of Kiltoghert. Bishop McNamee
was unable to attend the function and sent a letter of aplogy.
On that day the late Archdeacon was approaching his eightieth
year, but he still insisted on making the climb up the steep
slopes of the Hill unaided. Some who made the ascent that
day still remember the Archdeacon’s feat, and recall
that he looked the picture of health making the climb. The
Kiltubrid Pipe Band also climbed to the Cross and played on
the summit of the Hill, while the Choir under the direction
of Rev. Fr. Woods C.C., also took part in the ceremonies.
An inspiring lecture was given on the summit by Canon James
Butler, Drumlish. From a far distance the thousands making
the ascent and crowding around the base of the newly constructed
Cross resembled ants on an ant-hill, or a swarm of bees descending
By 1958 the Sheemore Holy Year Cross was
being floodlit intermittently, thanks to the advent of rural
electrification and the steadfastness of the Sheemore Holy
Year Committee. The permanent lighting of the Cross was proving
a serious problem, financing the project was causing difficulties.
However, by 1966 this problem had been permanently solved,
thanks to the generosity of Leitrim-born Patrick Beirne, a
native of Corlona, Drumsna, with an address at Palm Beach,
Florida, USA, who ensured that the Cross would be illuminated
continuously from sunset to sunrise. Patrick who had emigrated
to the United States some forty years before, was a retired
manager of Metropolitan Life Assurance Company of New York.
He first intimated his wishes regarding the permanent illumination
of the Cross in a letter to Rev. Pat Claffey, C.C., Gowel,
the then President of the Sheemore Memorial Cross Committee.
Fr. Claffey informed the Committee, who, after the consideration
of the kind offer, asked Fr Claffey to convey to him the heavy
commitment which he was undertaking. In reply, Patrick stated
that he was donating £1,000 towards the illumination
of the Cross, and providing padded seats in St.Patrick’s
Church, Gowel, “for the honour and glory of God and
in memory of my parents.” At a subsequent meeting of
the Committee, arrangements were made to have the Cross permanently
illuminated in accordance with Patrick’s wishes. At
a meeting of the Committee, sincere thanks and appreciation
of his example and princely generosity in providing for the
all-night illumination of the Sheemore Holy Year Cross was
unanimoulsy adopted. The Committee also recorded its thanks
to Fr. Claffey, who carried out the negotiations, and asked
him to convey their sentiments to Patrick Beirne.
And so today, whether you pass it by on foot
or otherwise, from near and far, this splendid memorial Cross
stands majestically set atop historic Sheemore, for all to
view and admire, day or night. There are those who say it’s
a contradiction in itself, having a Christian Cross surmounting
a Pagan burial mound. But, for the men who dreamed up the
idea, and worked unstintingly to live and see their dream
come true, it’s a monument and a symbol of the Faith
and fortitude of all the people in Leitrim, and a credit to
all who helped make it a reality.
This article first appeared in the Leitrim
Observer 1975 in “Impressions of Lovely Leitrim.”
By Willie B.
Image Courtesy and Copyright of Phil Burns, Sligo - Flickr